This is a little recipe of sorts that I made last night and I thought I'd share it since it was so very delicious.
Romaine lettuce leaves - I used 4 medium-small
2-3 small tomatoes, sliced - I used Campari tomatoes...SO delicious and sweet!
Half an avocado, cut into pieces
Half a lemon, for squeezing
About 2 cups of cooked black beans, seasoned with salt, pepper, 1/2 tsp. cumin
2/3 c. corn kernels (canned & drained or frozen)
2 Tbsp. Salsa
- First open a can of black beans or cook your own dry beans (which is what I did)
- Add a pinch of salt and pepper
- Add 1/2 tsp cumin, or more to taste
- Simmer just a bit to blend the flavors, or if you use dry beans, simmer 2 hours or until tender
- Add in corn kernels (canned or frozen) and just heat through
While the beans are doing their thing, you can put together the lettuce leaves.
- Wash the leaves and dry with paper towel
- Slice tomatoes - I placed about three slices per leaf
- Cut up avocado and divide evenly between the leaves
- Squeeze the half lemon over the prepared leaves
Once the leaves are prepared, spoon your beans into a bowl and top with a couple of tablespoons of salsa. Add the warm beans to the cold lettuce wraps as you eat.
This is really, really delicious and filling and most importantly, healthy. Yum!