Monday, July 29, 2013

Celebrations










This past week was full of fun.  We celebrated 18 years of marriage and 15 years of parenthood, all on the same day. It's nearly unbelievable to me.  This time has gone so incredibly fast, the years have held so many surprises along the way.  There have been difficulties and victories, we've seen the birth of four babies and the loss of two, but more than anything else, it has been full of love.  A love that grows by leaps and bounds every single day, a love that I dreamed would exist amid all our promises of forever eighteen years ago.






 




We celebrated our eighteen years by doing something that I have wanted to do for a really long time:  we went to see the Dave Matthews Band in concert.  I was crazy-excited to finally get to see them in person.  At one point earlier in the afternoon, when we came from the intense heat and humidity of the outdoors and entered the super-chilly and immaculate hotel room in which we would be staying, the "tired mama" version of myself was crying out to just stay right there in that room and take a nap or even to sleep until morning, but then again, "the real me" was fighting to go to that concert, enjoy my adult time alone with my husband, and have some fun!  I was feeling a little out of my element to say the least.  I didn't let it get me too far down, though.  The concert was amazing and this "tired mama" was able to pull off standing in the heat in pretty platform sandals for ten hours while shouting and cheering and dancing and singing every word to every song, taking in every moment of the DMB goodness.  I am SO glad I did!  I had a great time.  It may not be something that I want to do often, but every now and then it's great to do something different, something that makes you feel alive!















The next morning we awoke painfully early considering our 2 am bedtime and went out for breakfast.  That breakfast was SO good.  I'm a sucker for a good Cracker Barrel breakfast along with several cups of coffee.  I am certain that I prefer that meal to any other one when given the choice.  There is just something so comforting about breakfast food, especially grits.  ;)










After breakfast we made our way back home to our boys who were celebrating their fifteenth birthday.  We arrived home early and spent the day with them, cooking dinner for their birthday and getting ready for their celebration.  I can't believe they're fifteen already; young men practically ready to take on the world.  They're so full of goodness, honesty, and love.  I couldn't be more proud of the men they're becoming.  We ended the night with barbecue, cake, ice cream, and a few gifts.





These days have been really good.
We have so much to be thankful for and more blessings than we can count.

I am so grateful.

No comments: